Students reportedly shared the Cambridge International Education's AS-level mathematics (9709/5) exam paper on social media before its scheduled start, causing concern among authorities.
Students can be seen in an examination hall in Karachi during Cambridge exams on April 26, 2021. — X/Deputy Commissioner South Karachi Students say the paper shared on social media before the exam. Ghulam Ali Mallah, IBCC Executive Director, described leaks as "regrettable." The second paper of AS-level mathematics under Cambridge International Education (CIE) was reportedly leaked before the examination, it emerged on Tuesday. The paper (9709/5), scheduled to start at 2pm, had already been shared on social media prior to the exam. IBCC Executive Director Dr Ghulam Ali Mallah confirmed the breach to Geo News, saying they were awaiting a formal and detailed stance from Cambridge. "Cambridge has also initially confirmed the paper leak, and it is unfortunate that such leaks continue," he added. Dr Mallah described repeated leaks of Cambridge papers as "regrettable," stating that the examination body had so far failed to prevent such incidents. Reacting to reports, Cambridge Country Director Uzma Yousuf said that the examination body investigates all allegations related to paper leaks without addressing specific reports about alleged leaks. "We do not comment on individual reports of paper leaks. In the rare case where there is a genuine issue, we update schools at the right time and provide recommended next steps," she told Geo News. Uzma urged people to rely only on official statements and avoid spreading misinformation, saying that misinformation during examination periods can disrupt students' preparation and create unnecessary uncertainty.
Later in the day, Dr Mallah said he had not confirmed or denied the leak, stressing that only Cambridge could officially confirm or deny such matters. According to an earlier Cambridge statement, the AS-level mathematics paper (9709/12) had previously been declared invalid after a separate leak incident. Officials concluded it could not be used for grading purposes. Cambridge said the paper was distributed without authorisation before the examination on April 29 in Administrative Zones 3 and 4. It confirmed that affected candidates would be required to retake the paper, with a replacement examination scheduled for June 9 under the official Cambridge examination timetable.
Following reports about the alleged leaks, Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training Dr Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui directed the IBCC chairman to establish immediate contact with Cambridge authorities. He ordered a thorough investigation, clarification of facts, and urgent measures to protect students' interests. Expressing concern over the reported leaks, Siddiqui emphasized that such incidents caused severe mental stress, anxiety, and uncertainty for students and their parents, particularly those who prepare for examinations with hard work, dedication, and honesty. Terming the incidents "an extremely serious matter," he stressed that Cambridge must further strengthen its examination system, security protocols, and monitoring mechanisms to ensure they remain effective and tamper-proof. This would restore and maintain students' trust and confidence in the examination process.
Siddiqui reiterated that the government will not compromise on the future of students, the transparency of the examination system, and the protection of merit. He stressed that all relevant institutions must fulfill their responsibilities with seriousness and accountability.